The Arts Education Partnership and the National Association of Elementary School Principals have created a guide for school leaders who want to grow the level of arts education in their schools. The guide is built around three major actions, followed by low-cost strategies that leaders have found effective in their schools.
Action 1: Establish a schoolwide commitment to arts learning.
- Articulate clear goals.
- Identify the arts in the budget.
- Engage parents.
- Support a schoolwide arts learning community.
Action 2: Create an arts-rich learning environment.
- Bring the arts into daily classroom instruction.
- Provide arts-based professional development.
- Incorporate the arts into staffing and hiring decisions.
- Involve the local arts community.
Action 3: Examine the use of time and resources.
- Reallocate resources.
- Tap Title I and II funds.
- Adjust schedules and repurpose space.
- Use after-school time.
The complete guide is available at bit.ly/increaseartsed.
Source: Arts Education Partnership & National Association of Elementary School Principals. (2018). What school leaders can do to increase arts education. Denver, CO: Arts Education Partnership.